letter 19: Holly
1. Family ethnicity and immigration story explaining immigrant dreams,
reasons for wanting to come to CA. and America.
2. Reasons why you like or dislike living in SoCal in America, and
if, and if and how you have felt racial discrimination.
3. A response to the photograph and its picture of reality here in
SoCal and America.
1. My family ethnicity is Irish and English. And I dont know of an Immigrant story from my family.
2. I lived in Southern California my whole life. I went to an all white school except for about 10 kids who were either African American or Hispanic. My school West Hills High School was nicknamed White Hills High School. The racial discrimination has never affected me personally.
3. I have actually been to a recent protest at Chicano Park in Barrio Logan, in San Diego. The protest was for the rights of immigrants. It started in down town San Diego and ended in the park. I was there to take pictures for a scholarship on what America meant to me. The final picture I tuned in was of a Hispanic Male wearing an American Flag on his hard hat and flying Mexicos flag. In the essay I also had to turn in, I wrote about the struggles of living in America. The man in his worn clothes and hard hat proved that very point. Personally I believe that everyone thinks if they come to America they will be successful. But my family and I have always lived here and we are not even that successful and there are many others also in that same position. So to me America is a land of struggles. And in response to the photograph we were presented, well its not easy to get into America. And as I already said concerning the protest I went to, its a place of struggles not a place of golden opportunities.